This is the platform medic.
In the UK oil and gas industry there is a requirement for all installations to have sufficient medical cover and provisions.
The offshore medics role -
Treat people working on an offshore oil or gas rig for any injuries or illnesses.
Provide medical care for anyone on the rig or platform who has an accident and make sure that people are fit and safe to work. The health, safety and welfare of all those working on the rig would be the medics responsibility. They also carry out administrative tasks.
- Provide 24-hour medical care for the crew
- Carry out routine health checks
- Treat illnesses and minor wounds
- Keep accurate medical records
- Train other people on the rig in first aid
- Order new supplies of medicines and equipment
- Carry out health promotion activities
- Advise on health and safety issues
- Arrange for very ill people to be taken back to land for treatment
The medic advises the senior managers if they thought a person was not fit for work or might affect other people’s safety.
If someone had an injury or illness that you were not sure how to treat, they would phone the onshore company doctor for advice.